Alan The Atheist
Advancing my knowledge and sharing my new found smarts with others that also seek truth and knowledge.
Like Davidian, I was sent to Christian schools for my formative years. I was raised in a strict Roman Catholic family in strict Roman Catholic Ireland. I knew very little about other religions except that I was told they were all doing it wrong because they were not like us. The Protestants were the worst of all because of the troubles in Northern Ireland. Having read a theology degree and after moving to UK I had very little to do with religion for a long time.
When in my 30s I married a Muslim woman and converted for the sake of her family. I read Qur’an and lived like a Muslim but never believed. I had four step children and as part of my fatherly duties I was expected to teach them Qur’an and tafisr and hadith. As far as all were concerned apart from my wife I was a practising and believing Muslim. It is however a sin for a Muslim woman to be married to a non-Muslim man and eventually the fear of hellfire was too much for her and she said it was time she donned a headscarf and kept her religion 100%. We went our separate ways.
I have lived a colourful life so far, moving between three countries, beating an addiction in my mid 20’s and without the help of Jesus. Go figure! I am father to 20 year old twin daughters that – although having been educated them as children on religion and God – are following in my footsteps of scepticism and atheism. I have gained some great life experience which can only be attained through an alternative lifestyle.
I joined a few debate groups out of curiosity where I learned a heck of a lot very quickly and found a new love. Physics! Oh and correcting people!! See my article on internet debaters and the groups here.
That brings me neatly to Answers in Reason. Myself and Kriss moderate several debate groups together. When Kriss said he was starting up this project I jumped at the opportunity to put what I have written day in and day out in the debate groups over the past few years down on (virtual) paper.
It has been an honour to stand back-to-back with Kriss for several years now swinging our knowledge swords in the scathing attack of ignorance, indoctrination and abandonment of logic and reason in the groups, but it is now a welcome relief to be left to my own thoughts here and express what I have learned through this medium!
Suggested Article: “The Mathamatical Improbability of Evolution” – Debunked.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- The YouTube algorithm as an Expression of Power – SciPhi 008 [Video]
- History for Atheists with Tim O’Neill – SciPhi 007 [Video]
- BLM – Part 1 – w/ Artificial Agent – SciPhi 006 [Video]
- Scepticism and Self Reflection – Fresh AiR – S03:E01
- Philosophy for Children with Lil’ Philosophers creator and host Josh Perry – SciPhi 005 [Video]
Send us a Message!
Tagsagnostic agnosticism anti-vax Atheism Atheist belief Bible BoP Christianity comic creationist Critical Thinking Debate errors Ethics evidence Evolution Fallacies Fallacy fresh air God justification life Logic misconceptions moral morality Morals moral theory normative objective Philosophy podcast politics rationality reason religion Scepticism science steve mcrae subjective theism Theist utilitarianism vaccinations