We venture into the world of AI and consider the ethical implications and applications.
Will our future overlords be moral and just?
We will be considering how morality is used in the automated world from now and into the future, looking at various thought experiments, and pondering ethical culpability and responsibility when things go wrong!
Our topics on Artificial Intelligence and Ethics will include (but not be limited to)
- What do we mean by Morality (short version, reference other streams for more info)
- What is Artificial Intelligence?
- When do we regard something automated as an A.I.?
- Privacy – ethics around large scale data collection – Social Media, Cookies, CCTV
- Whether we can ever trust machines to make “ethical” decisions autonomously
- Some examples of giving machines ethical problems and not properly configuring the ethical engine with awful suggestions provided (though they would work).
- How Machines can affect current social issues
- Inclusive of Social Media and how FB and TW have this automod stuff that bans people for harmless comments or stuff they said 7 years ago, yet outright bigoted and hateful comments are left untouched even when reported
- The effect on the economy
- i.e. how do we distribute wealth created by autonomous machines
- Who is responsible for any consequence of a machine’s actions?
- Automated Trolley Problem example
- Tracks made by one company
- Engine by another
- Circuits by another
- Programming by another
- Something goes wrong causing the death of people that could have been avoided, Who’s to blame?
- Automated Trolley Problem example
Artifical Ethics – The Video
As with most (if not all) of our SciPhi stream, it originated as a live video stream. If you would like to catch the stream, please join us here:
If you have any questions, want us to go into more detail about something, corrections, critique etc. feel free to leave us a message either under the article/video/podcast on the site, on YouTube, or feel free to DM us on one of our social media accounts.
Want to Watch us Live?
You can watch us live on:
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Answers-in-reason
- Twitch: http://twitch.tv/u/davidiantwitchyballs
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/answersinreason
The Published SciPhi Show can be found in the following YouTube playlist:
We’ve just started a new project called SciPhi Shortz! Essentially 5-15 minute videos going over the basics of a topic in a way that might be more digestible to people that would like to watch the streams, but don’t have 2 hours, so they can dip in and out to the bits that interest them!
Don’t have time for the longer streams? We’ve got you covered. We created a playlist of various clips and highlights from the stream. These are a combination of interesting segments, jokes and funny bits, questions from the audience and times when we stack it and think you deserve a laugh at our expense.
Fresh AiR Podcast
The Fresh AiR Podcast is still going strong and can be heard in a number of outlets.
For the full experience, we suggest the website: https://www.answers-in-reason.com/series/fresh-air/ as we provide a number of links to various resources discussed in the article, however, can be seen on a number of podcast outlets such as: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play | Spotify | Podplayer – and we are not limited to these either, just search for Answers in Reason or Fresh AiR in your favourite podcast syndication.
Fresh AiR Videos!
Whilst the SciPhi show is quick live videos discussing relevant and current topics, with Season 3 we tried a few different things with Fresh AiR, inclusive of videos taking people through concepts.
These can be found both on the site, and in this YouTube playlist:
At Answers in Reason we provide all our content to you for free, but we do have server costs and would love to be in a position to provide you content more regularly than we do.
As such we have started a Patreon page.
Each Tier has the benefits of the previous tier plus additional benefits
Tier 1 provides basic access to the community.
Here you will see any of our private blog posts, memes, and anything else we share just to our Patreon. You also get basic access to our discord server.
Tier 2 gives early access
Before we release our articles and podcasts to the public, you get access as soon as they are produced.
Tier 3 gives enhanced access
We will give you the podcast server address with the ability to listen in to the conversation live, and message us whilst on AiR.
You will receive access to the podcasts before they have been edited. The raw show, including any faux pas, and none of the after-show additions like the soundbytes.
You will also get enhanced access on the discord server, and be allowed to join us on the SciPhi streams. (Subject to availability, we don’t want to crash the server)
And lastly, we will send you an AiR T-shirt after 3 months of membership.
Tier 4 gives pro access
As a dedicated fan, we not only give you all the above (plus free delivery on the AiR T-Shirt World Wide) and additional exclusive content but also we have a circa 30 minute interview, finding out about your life and interests, and what you hope to gain from the community.
There will also be additional gifts from time to time, clothing, mugs, etc.
Tier 5 gives the Apex of Access
You get all the previous benefits PLUS you get to suggest and cohost a topic for Fresh AiR. (The topic does have to be running with the theme of Fresh AiR, e.g. a Philosophical/Scientific angle of sorts)
Tiers may be subject to review and change in future if required, but you will always be informed in advance.
You must log in to post a comment.