What is Personhood?
What is personhood? How do we define it? Who or what does personhood apply to? Tune in to the podcast to find out more!
Aspects of Personhood
- Life – intrinsic value
- Physical Feeling, from basic reactionary feeling to a variety of physical stations
- Emotional Feeling
- Self Awareness
- Reasoning Skills (rational, logical, conceptual etc)
Definition of Life
We accept that this is still debated by biologists but using some very basic parameters we define life as:
- That which grows
- That which takes upon nutrients (a form of energy exchange)
We also include, in general, the ability to (although not necessary for individuals)
Personhood in animals
- Do animals qualify for personhood?
- Should we be vegetarians or vegans?
- Is more harm caused by farming other crops than eating animals?
Other topics in the Personhood Episode Include
- Should we award ecosystems personhood?
- Are rights granted simply by having personhood
- Thought experiment around diminished personhood
- Further thought experiments
- Fallacy of the Week
- Spotlight of the Week
For anyone interested in receiving our podcasts earlier, we offer “unedited” versions almost as soon as we have recorded and cleaned them up on our Patreon for tier 3 and beyond.
We also offer early access to the final production version as soon as it is ready ahead of our seasonal weekly releases on our patreon for tier 2 and above.
We also offer give-aways, works in progress and a number of other items, as well as hoping that you regard our work worthy of continuation and improvement. All proceeds of the patreon go back in to the website, podcasts, and both hardware and software upgrades.