The Truth is Out There!
What is truth?
How can we know if something is true?
What is a truth-apt statement?
Do all statements hold a truth value?
How does truth relate to morality?
Can we have a subjective truth?
In this stream, we hope to cover off these questions and examine a few theories of truth. There are actually quite a few theories of truth, but the most important ones are:
- Correspondence theory
- Coherence theory
- Semantic Theory
- Pragmatic Theory
- Deflationary Theory
As well as covering off Truth-apt statements, truthmakers, preferences, and how truth can relate to morality.
This Stream is an ARTICLE READING: The Truth of it All
All questions and comments are thoroughly encouraged.
The Truth of it All The Video
For those that prefer to watch, please check out the video here:
- 00:00 – Intro Visualisations
- 02:43 – Hello, Welcome and Moaning about the weather (and general chat)
- 11:45 – The Truth of It All (Article Reading) Starts
- 12:40 – What is Truth?
- 14:20 – Theories of Truth
- 14:43 – Correspondance Theory of Truth
- 19:45 – Coherence Theory of Truth
- 21:12 – Semantic Theory of Truth
- 23:23 – Pragmatic Theory of Truth
- 25:13 – Deflationary Theories
- 25:30 – Redundancy Theory
- 26:04 – Performative Theory
- 27:16 – Prosentential Theory of Truth
- 27:48 – Summary of the Theories of Truth
- 31:30 – Truth-apt Statements
- 32:35 – Truthmaker
- 33:11 – Subjectively Truth-apt
- 34:53 – Truly Moral
- 35:33 – There is no Truth
- 36:03 – Moral Realism / Objective Morality
- 37:22 – Moral Relativism
- 39:03 – Moral Subjectivism
- 41:31 – Morally Truth Apt?
- 42:12 – Can the Truthmaker be in multiple places?
- 43:51 – Relative and Subjective?
- 44:52 – It’s the LAW!
- 47:30 – Summary of Moral Truths
- 50:45 – The Truth of it All (Conclusion)
- 56:20 – Comments, Questions, and General chat (starts)
- 01:04:05 – Is Moral Relativism a form of Objectivism?
- 01:05:38 – Inter-subjective for cultural Norms
- 01:06:45 – The Semantic Issue of Moral Discussions
- 01:07:55 – Greg’s Truth
- 01:11:00 – PC vs Console – what is Objectively better?
- 01:26:25 – Marvel vs DC What is Objectively better?
- 01:27:25 – Back to PC conversations
- 01:28:15 – Is God’s Morality Objective?
- 01:35:35 – Attitude Comes from the mind, I don’t See the Difference.
- 01:38:10 – Is it really a true dichotomy between Objective and Subjective Morality?
- 01:39:58 – A Weird Request from LB
- 01:32:53 – Moral Cognitivism
- 01:44:27 – Moral Non-Cognitivism
- 01:46:40 – Emerson is Great
- 01:48:30 – Next Week
- 01:50:19 – GoodNight
- #Truth #SciPhi #Epistemology #Ethics #Morality #Philosophy #AnswersinReason #AiR #Objective #Subjective #Preferneces #Relative #MoralRealism #MoralRelativism #MoralSubjectivism #MoralCognitivism
If you have any questions, want us to go into more detail about something, corrections, critique etc. feel free to leave us a message either under the article/video/podcast on the site, on YouTube, or feel free to DM us on one of our social media accounts.
Want to Watch us Live?
You can watch us live on:
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Answers-in-reason
- Twitch: http://twitch.tv/u/davidiantwitchyballs
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/answersinreason
The Published SciPhi Show can be found in the following YouTube playlist:
We’ve just started a new project called SciPhi Shortz! Essentially 5-15 minute videos going over the basics of a topic in a way that might be more digestible to people that would like to watch the streams, but don’t have 2 hours, so they can dip in and out to the bits that interest them!
Don’t have time for the longer streams? We’ve got you covered. We created a playlist of various clips and highlights from the stream. These are a combination of interesting segments, jokes and funny bits, questions from the audience and times when we stack it and think you deserve a laugh at our expense.
Fresh AiR Podcast
The Fresh AiR Podcast is still going strong and can be heard in a number of outlets.
For the full experience, we suggest the website: https://www.answers-in-reason.com/series/fresh-air/ as we provide a number of links to various resources discussed in the article, however, can be seen on a number of podcast outlets such as: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play | Spotify | Podplayer – and we are not limited to these either, just search for Answers in Reason or Fresh AiR in your favourite podcast syndication.
Fresh AiR Videos!
Whilst the SciPhi show is quick live videos discussing relevant and current topics, with Season 3 we tried a few different things with Fresh AiR, inclusive of videos taking people through concepts.
These can be found both on the site, and in this YouTube playlist:
At Answers in Reason we provide all our content to you for free, but we do have server costs and would love to be in a position to provide you content more regularly than we do.
As such we have started a Patreon page.
Each Tier has the benefits of the previous tier plus additional benefits
Tier 1 provides basic access to the community.
Here you will see any of our private blog posts, memes, and anything else we share just to our Patreon. You also get basic access to our discord server.
Tier 2 gives early access
Before we release our articles and podcasts to the public, you get access as soon as they are produced.
Tier 3 gives enhanced access
We will give you the podcast server address with the ability to listen in to the conversation live, and message us whilst on AiR.
You will receive access to the podcasts before they have been edited. The raw show, including any faux pas, and none of the after-show additions like the soundbytes.
You will also get enhanced access on the discord server, and be allowed to join us on the SciPhi streams. (Subject to availability, we don’t want to crash the server)
And lastly, we will send you an AiR T-shirt after 3 months of membership.
Tier 4 gives pro access
As a dedicated fan, we not only give you all the above (plus free delivery on the AiR T-Shirt World Wide) and additional exclusive content but also we have a circa 30 minute interview, finding out about your life and interests, and what you hope to gain from the community.
There will also be additional gifts from time to time, clothing, mugs, etc.
Tier 5 gives the Apex of Access
You get all the previous benefits PLUS you get to suggest and cohost a topic for Fresh AiR. (The topic does have to be running with the theme of Fresh AiR, e.g. a Philosophical/Scientific angle of sorts)
Tiers may be subject to review and change in future if required, but you will always be informed in advance.