THE FINE TUNING ARGUMENT DEBUNKED BY SCIENCE (And Holy Koolaid) The fine tuning argument is the most overused argument in the creationists’ toolkit. If you’re not familiar with the fine-tuning argument, it goes something like this: The parameters for life are so finely tuned that if they were tweaked ever so slightly, all life would…
Darwin, born in Shrewsbury, England, on February 12, 1809. In 1831, he embarked on a five-year survey voyage around the world on the HMS Beagle. His studies of specimens around the globe led him to formulate his theory of evolution and his views on the process of natural selection. What did Darwin Do? Darwin put forward…
Many years before humans grazed this earth the dinosaurs roamed the wild, king of the lands. A “Young Earth Creationist” or YEC will argue that dinosaurs were around with humans circa 6000 years ago. An “Old Earth Creationist” or OEC will be open to dinosaurs being around millions of years ago, but will likely state all creatures were created as is. That is to say, there is no evolution on a Macro scale.
The fossil record supports an old earth. Various dating methods support an old universe and old earth. DNA evidence supports Evolution. The idea is rejected because the creationist/fundamentalist feels it contradicts their belief and enters the wheel of circular logic.
Whilst we have some great articles that deal with these misconceptions, theists will likely not read them. They are far too locked in their wall of confirmation bias. Thankfully the awesome Lord Cropes has provided us, and indeed you, a beautiful gallery of images for fast rebuttal to common statements we hear.
As with the previous Cropes CCM gallery, feel free to download and use these in debates. Make sure you give him a shout out on twitter too and let him know you like his work!
Please note, the last two images are not Cropes memes. The dinosaur one is from a creationist website, and the skulls is an example of transitional fossils.
A few articles that may be of interest you after reading this one:
Apes, monkeys, primates. Our distant family. Our ancestors. Human DNA proves our common ancestry with modern apes and monkeys, yet creationists refuse to admit the link. Below are some memes created by Lord Cropes to answer their common questions and misconceptions. He’s definitely worth of follow on twitter if you are not already following him too.
These memes are completely free to use. You can either link to them on our site or download them for use in your own repertoire.
Apes, Monkeys, and Humans Today!
- Humans, apes, chimps and gorillas you see in the world today are all modern species of primate that followed different evolutionary paths.
- We share a common ancestor with the aforementioned primates (now extinct). The great apes evolved from apes which evolved from earlier apes which are thought to have evolved from monkeys in the Miocene epoch.
Did we evolve from the monkeys we see today? No.
Did we evolve directly from monkeys? No, through a series of earlier species in the homo genus, up through a series of apes which evolved from a species classed as a monkey.
We have a common primate ancestor with the monkeys you see today.
- Monkeys and apes took separate paths millions of years ago and continued to evolve separately.
- We essentially ARE monkeys, whilst we are in the great ape family was are part of the infraorder simiiformes.
The simians are the monkeys, cladistically including the apes: the New World monkeys or platyrrhines, and the catarrhine clade consisting of the Old World monkeys and apes.
- Entire species do not evolve into new species; new species tend to evolve as isolated offshoots of existing (parent) species.
- In some cases, newly evolved species can end up out-competing their parent (or sibling) species, driving them to extinction, but by no means in all cases.
- Some people take offence to being thought of as monkeys, but where is the logic in that?
For more info read: Why do Christians and Muslims Reject Evolution?
Also check out:
- The “The Origin of Life” and Evolution
- Macro & Micro Evolution
- Kinds and Species
- Dawkins thinks Aliens did it
- Just a Theory
Hope you have enjoyed the memes, there will be many more as we have the full Cropes archive at our disposal!
Send us a Message!
Tagsagnostic anti-vax Atheism Atheist belief Bible BoP burden of proof Christianity comic creationist Critical Thinking Debate disbelief errors Ethics evidence Evolution Fallacies Fallacy fresh air God life Logic meaning misconceptions moral morality Morals moral theory normative objective objective morality Philosophy podcast politics rationality reason religion Scepticism science subjective theism Theist utilitarianism