Freedom of Speech Freedom of speech. An essential and beautiful right, that we all use to near exhaustion. We all have our ideas, our opinions and things we think “must be said”, and we have the freedom to say them; to communicate our ideas, present our opinions and to say what “must be said”…
Communication is the cornerstone of any successful relationship. That relationship could be intimate, interactions with a colleague, a friendship, or dialogue with some random you meet on the internet.
Misunderstandings are inevitable. The same communication can also be the thing that destroys relationships. It is even easier to misenterpret what someone is saying
When talking with people online it is important to ensure that you communicate in a way that isn’t going to result in walls going up. Putting people in a defensive position is never conducive to a decent dialogue. Without the benefit of being in person and being able to understand the mode of someones speech, and take the cues from their tone of voice it is even more imperative we reduce ambiguity and use correct terminology.
If you were talking about a sports team you wouldn’t call the Red Sox the Red Jumpers and expect someone to know what you meant right? In fact if someone is passionate about the Red Sox, getting their name wrong might annoy them.
The same can be said for both religious and scientific terminology.
The Conflated and Misunderstood Terms series started with EVOLUTION.
It just so happened that Lord Cropes had a selection of memes that fitted the article.
If you are interested in reading more the article can be found in these sections:
Darwin, born in Shrewsbury, England, on February 12, 1809. In 1831, he embarked on a five-year survey voyage around the world on the HMS Beagle. His studies of specimens around the globe led him to formulate his theory of evolution and his views on the process of natural selection. What did Darwin Do? Darwin put forward…
Apes, monkeys, primates. Our distant family. Our ancestors. Human DNA proves our common ancestry with modern apes and monkeys, yet creationists refuse to admit the link. Below are some memes created by Lord Cropes to answer their common questions and misconceptions. He’s definitely worth of follow on twitter if you are not already following him too.
These memes are completely free to use. You can either link to them on our site or download them for use in your own repertoire.
Apes, Monkeys, and Humans Today!
- Humans, apes, chimps and gorillas you see in the world today are all modern species of primate that followed different evolutionary paths.
- We share a common ancestor with the aforementioned primates (now extinct). The great apes evolved from apes which evolved from earlier apes which are thought to have evolved from monkeys in the Miocene epoch.
Did we evolve from the monkeys we see today? No.
Did we evolve directly from monkeys? No, through a series of earlier species in the homo genus, up through a series of apes which evolved from a species classed as a monkey.
We have a common primate ancestor with the monkeys you see today.
- Monkeys and apes took separate paths millions of years ago and continued to evolve separately.
- We essentially ARE monkeys, whilst we are in the great ape family was are part of the infraorder simiiformes.
The simians are the monkeys, cladistically including the apes: the New World monkeys or platyrrhines, and the catarrhine clade consisting of the Old World monkeys and apes.
- Entire species do not evolve into new species; new species tend to evolve as isolated offshoots of existing (parent) species.
- In some cases, newly evolved species can end up out-competing their parent (or sibling) species, driving them to extinction, but by no means in all cases.
- Some people take offence to being thought of as monkeys, but where is the logic in that?
For more info read: Why do Christians and Muslims Reject Evolution?
Also check out:
- The “The Origin of Life” and Evolution
- Macro & Micro Evolution
- Kinds and Species
- Dawkins thinks Aliens did it
- Just a Theory
Hope you have enjoyed the memes, there will be many more as we have the full Cropes archive at our disposal!
- The YouTube algorithm as an Expression of Power – SciPhi 008 [Video]
- History for Atheists with Tim O’Neill – SciPhi 007 [Video]
- BLM – Part 1 – w/ Artificial Agent – SciPhi 006 [Video]
- Scepticism and Self Reflection – Fresh AiR – S03:E01
- Philosophy for Children with Lil’ Philosophers creator and host Josh Perry – SciPhi 005 [Video]
Send us a Message!
Tagsagnostic agnosticism anti-vax Atheism Atheist belief Bible BoP Christianity comic creationist Critical Thinking Debate errors Ethics evidence Evolution Fallacies Fallacy fresh air God justification life Logic misconceptions moral morality Morals moral theory normative objective Philosophy podcast politics rationality reason religion Scepticism science steve mcrae subjective theism Theist utilitarianism vaccinations